Re: [livecode] syntax free

From: Dave Griffiths <dave_at_pawfal.org>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 16:25:00 -0000 (GMT)

>> I think so.... but then can we also have a space where one of the
>> dimensions is "while-loop"? When I wrote that I meant it as a sort of
>> joke but now it's starting to sound like a actual good idea to me.
>
> Yes this is a key idea I think... How can we arrange all the possible
> actions of a system of computation within a couple of dimensions? So
> you could take two programs, and find another program halfway between
> them?

It would be interesting to somehow run PCA[1] on a set of computer
programs and derive eigenprograms[2] to form a reduced dimensionality, and
use them to generate new ones. What does your average program look like?
It might be possible with some genetic programming type shenanigans, but
it probably wouldn't work for various boring reasons ;)

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principal_components_analysis
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eigenface