Re: [livecode] syntax free

From: Rob Myers <rob_at_robmyers.org>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 20:09:20 +0000

Kassen wrote:

> I'm sure I'm missing what you mean here. I have two IBM keyboards here,
> side by side, and I'm quite sure they are very tangible and very
> familiar and to me those are good things and I don't want them to be
> de-familiarised at all.

I spend all day with a keyboard and I find I don't notice it due to its
familiarity. Now that I'm typing this I'm aware of every keypress, the
feel and the sound and the different timing and hand movements for every
letter. But usually it just fades out and I'm coding or emailing or
writing a review and I don't notice the keyboard's physicality.

Possibly I'm confusing noticeable physicality with tangibility. The
keyboard, as you point out, is tangible. It's just people don't notice
it. I'm not saying we need to jam spoons in between the keys unless it's
useful to do so. One reason it might be useful to do so is to spread
your awareness of the keyboard as tangible to people who don't notice it
as such. But if you're happy with the familiarity of the keyboard then
don't let me make things difficult. :-)

> In case you thought so; I wasn't saying it was new, nor do I think the
> Iphone's interface is that shocking but those two are interfaces people
> talk about a lot these days. I was observing trends more then innovations.

I see what you mean.

This is a time of consolidation for new media. It's a positive thing if
alternative interfaces follow VR (for example) into the mainstream and
actually succeed this time.

- Rob.