Re: [livecode] syntax free

From: alex <alex_at_lurk.org>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 17:31:48 +0000

On Thu, 2008-03-06 at 13:33 +0000, thor wrote:
> This is one of the problems I see with tangible systems and the
> ReacTable
> is a good example. You'll have a problem if you want two objects to do
> similar
> things. There is not space in the environment for it!!! In the case of
> ReacTable
> it's a lack of physical space (there is already a big cube occupying
> that space)
> and in your idea of spatial semantics, it would be hard to represent
> the variety
> of things that you want to represent.

Yes, I think there are a lot of problems with the idea of tangible
interfaces, it just seems to be a strange buzzword for interfaces of no
depth. I don't think the reactable is tangible interface anyway,
certainly no more tangible than a screen, keyboard and mouse.

> for example this line:
>
> Mix.fill(200, {arg i; SinOsc.ar(200+i, pi.rand, 200.reciprocal)})
>
> Here we got a line creating 200 oscillators with very "close"
> frequencies.
> How would you solve that in a spatial system if frequency was spatial?

I guess you could use a space where one of the dimensions was 'chorus'?

alex