Re: [livecode] code taunts

From: Kassen <signal.automatique_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 19:42:10 +0100

On 21/02/2008, Marcel Wierckx <Marcel_at_lownorth.nl> wrote:

> interesting that this thread should arise. I have been working on an
> article on competitive live coding.
>
> if anyone is interested in looking at a draft copy please email me
> off-list.

I'm interested and mailing you on-list (you can send off list, open formats
strongly preferred if possible, thanks). I'm replying on list because I'm
particularly interested in your ideas on how to level the playing field when
different systems/languages are used which would also be interesting to a
broader audience.

To explain to our friends; in Marcel's competitions you can enter using any
systems you like (mostly MAX was used, I used ChucK, SC users were invited),
there are lotteries for who goes first (lottery takes place using random
generators made on the spot) and everybody gets 6 minutes per round. You
can't load external files so no samples and no libraries. No external
controllers aside from keyboard and mouse. I think that's all. Winner is
determined by audience appreciation.

This is great fun and a huge thrill, but not without issues. For example; I
made some use there of the STK's physical modelling Ugens which are build
into ChucK, if a MAX user wanted to do the same he'd need to use PeRColate
(sp?) the MAX version of the STK which I believe to be a external that would
need to be imported. I'm sure better examples exist as well. All bets are
off for systems played by their designer or a knowledgeable user of a open
source system that could simply make anything he or she'd like a part of the
system itself ahead of time, eliminating the need for importing altogether.

IMHO, the true power of livecoding and what should be judged on isn't
spectacular end-results but the expressive power of the code itself. This
would perhaps create the need for a knowledgeable audience that can judge
such things but those might be hard to come by. In a current discussion on
the ChucK forum about the differences between ChucK and SC it's becoming
apparent that none of those involved know anybody who's fluent in both CK
and SC....

Yours,
Kas.