Re: [livecode] chucK n00bie asks a potentially dumb question

From: Kassen <signal.automatique_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2007 16:01:24 +0200

On 9/9/07, AlgoMantra <algomantra_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Good morning, livecoding gurus!

Good morning AlgoMantra

ok, I overslept so i can still say good morning, it might be a bit vain to
answer a question directed at livecoding gurus but I do know a thing or two
about ChucK. The first thing to do for you would be to sign up to the ChucK
list which can be found here;

http://chuck.cs.princeton.edu/community/

I'd sign up to the main list (to hear about updates) and to the users list
which would be the best place to ask questions like the ones you have and
the ones that will arise. Questions are nice, they'll make people go "Oh, I
never thought about that" or "Hmmmm, that's a nice puzzle" so if you direct
them there they'll arrive where they are most appreciated.

This humble newbie has only discovered ChucK a
> few hours ago, and is in dithered awe and excitement. unbearable
> signals pass unfiltered from adc=>dac and
> he cannot wait to ask of you:
>
> - how does one create dynamic graphics in ChucK?

The old masters said there are three main ways of accomplishing this;

First is standing right next to a exploding ChucK compiler, then marveling
at the litle stars and swirling colours, this is said to have been Tao Tse
ChucK's favourite method and he lived to be 120 years and had many beautiful
concubines.

Second is is getting something like Java or Python, basically anything
accessible with libraries for graphics and OSC.

Third is walking up the mountain and meditating there until "Ge" ("Ge" is
the name amongst ChucKist monks for the creative spirit that flows through
the world) delivers to you the "GlucK". Nobody has seen the GlucK yet but
according to prophecy it will be a OpenGL engine for ChucK. It's on "The
List" which is the sacred ChucKist book of "things that we will have in the
future if we remain faithful". It's probably our largest book, eclipsing
even the epic "Things that should be documented" tome.

> - can one couple ChucK with a Python GUI for this purpose?

Yes, one can and the ChucK list has a few Python experts that might be able
to help you there.

The final project dataflow would probably look something like this:

> audience mobile phone=>GUI game =>ChucK Mixer => GUI => audience mobile
> phone

In that case I suspect using Processing (Processing.org) might be good. It's
Java, is aimed at graphics and has OSC. I believe mobile phones tend to have
the Java nature to a larger degree then the Python nature. The thing is that
I have taken a vow of mobile poverty and only use my mobile phone to make
calls if at all. The ChucK list has a few Processing people as well.

Any help would be deeply appreciated. Tutorials may be written for
> newbies of the the future!

Wonderful!
See you on the ChucK list.

Kas.