Re: [livecode] Katahdin: Modifying your programming language as it runs

From: Craig Latta <craig_at_netjam.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 11:43:04 -0700

     ...and the Smalltalk enthusiast pounces! ;)

> OOP is also a "shadow" of the Actor Model... (Alan Kay was a student
> of Carl Hewitt, IIRC).

     Nope. Kay says the idea coalesced for him in 1966, and the
strongest influences were Simula (Kristen Nygaard) and Sketchpad (Ivan
Sutherland). Kay's article "The Early History of Smalltalk" is a fun
read, by the way.

     Normally I wouldn't speak up in this sort of conversation (it's
such a cliche for me by now ;), but that statement made me do a
double-take. :) You might be thinking of Hewitt's influence on Sussman
et al with Scheme, not Kay.

     In a desperate attempt to say something on-topic, I'll agree that
(at least in Smalltalk as I see it), there is no distinction between
programming language and "application". Also, the number of angels that
can dance on the head of a pin is currently 42. ;)

-C

--
Craig Latta
improvisational musical informaticist