Re: [livecode] Katahdin: Modifying your programming language as it runs

From: zuzu <sean.zuzu_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 07:40:08 -0400

On 6/21/07, alex <alex_at_slab.org> wrote:
> "Katahdin is a programming language where you can define new language
> constructs such as expressions and statements as easily as new types or
> functions. For example, you could define a new operator, a new type of
> loop, implement a syntax from another language that you like.

hmm... technically, I'm not sure how this is different from most other
programming languages... operators and statements are just "weird"
functions, AFAIK. (of course, the fact that languages such as C are
implemented to make these very difficult to interchange is another
matter. ultimately that's something of a "turing complete" debate,
but I think we're concerned with syntactic/human ease here.)

> After
> defining a new construct you can use it on the next line in the same
> file, so there is no need to recompile each time you want to add a new
> construct. Katahdin is powerful enough that you can define an entire
> existing language, or design a new language from scratch, making
> Katahdin a universal language interpreter."

ah, now this sounds an awful lot like FORTH and its interactive
compiler (or "meta-compiler").

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FORTH#Structure_of_the_compiler

> http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/2303
>
> Not sure how novel this is though, you could say the same about many
> languages I'm sure.
>
> alex

seems so.