[livecode] livecoding without electricity

From: alex <alex_at_lurk.org>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 00:04:39 +0100

Earlier I was a small part of something called "Assembly", 11th in a
series of large group improvisations organised by Adem
(http://adem.tv/).

The improvisers could bring their own instrument or use one provided by
Adem. There were plenty of instruments to go around, and the audience
was invited to join the improvisation. There were probably around 20
improvisers. Electric powered instruments (such as laptops) weren't
allowed.

Then Adem and others took turns to write instructions on a large
blackboard. An instruction would be written, and a signal would be made
to enact it. Sometimes an earlier instruction would be pointed at and
re-enacted. Some instructions were later modified. Some instructions
had loops (play long sounds, then short sounds, repeat). Some
instructions were just abstract shapes.

It worked very well. I'm afraid it was rather dark, so my camera phone
pictures of the board afterwards didn't come out too well:
  http://flickr.com/photos/yaxu/553711876/?rotated=1&cb=1181947867712

alex