Re: [livecode] flyer essay - your input needed!

From: alex <alex_at_slab.org>
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2007 11:27:41 +0100

Hi Julian

On Sat, 2007-06-02 at 08:50 +0200, Julian Rohrhuber wrote:
> I'd try to be careful about words like artistic expression and
> creativity. While common in music, they sound naive in the arts.

Is this a criticism of the current version or more a warning? I removed
an instance of 'artistic' but couldn't see anything contentious in use
of the phrase 'creative process' in the current version. "Creativity"
and "art" are overused words, but I think "creative process" is
qualified enough to make it useful again.

For me, a creative process is what humans follow to find something new
(to them) but still valued, within constraints or pushing against
constraints. A creative process can benefit from fast feedback, so the
creator can act and react without having to wait around. So I think
it's useful to say that live coding aides the creative process.

alex