Re: [livecode] live coding practice

From: Julian Rohrhuber <rohrhuber_at_uni-hamburg.de>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 17:01:52 +0100

>> Of course, attentional resourcing is one thing you could practice. I think
>> many of these issues came up before (in the thread Thor was prominent in
>> before), where we confessed that live coding is conductor level and
>> fundamentally different to gestural musicianship.
>
>I disagree. Improvisers encode gestures through practise, we encode
>gestures through programming. Combining those gestures is what we can
>do 'on stage'.

the important point about the ability to refactor code live that we
addressed in our 2005 ICMC paper seems to be connected to what you
are saying. The difference between conducting and improvising may be
that we can cross levels - we can make part of a background gesture
subject to change and then again merge it with the background. It is
this background where "immersion" takes place, but it is contrasted
with the invention and verfremdung that happens when the framing
changes (in code and in sound). This is something I practise (but not
only in live coding).
--
.