[livecode] livecode systems architecture questions

From: Dylan McNamee <dylan_at_aracnet.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 09:40:46 -0800

Greetings,
Is this an acceptable forum for discussing architectural options for
implementing livecoding systems?

In particular, I'm thinking of building one of my own, and I'm trying
to figure out what my options are, in particular regarding managing
time.

Is the Unix "interval timer" good enough? What makes "good enough" --
is the main issue jitter? What's a good way of measuring jitter with
reasonably high resolution?

Since I'm going to be doing this on MacOS X, what about using NSTimer
or the RunLoopTimer? Alternatively, should I consider building my
livecoding system as a kernel module and using the real-time
facilities provided to device drivers?

Apologies if this isn't the right forum, and suggestions of where to
take it are welcome.

cheers!
dylan
http://www.mecodegoodsomeday.com