Re: [livecode] Haskell state of affairs?

From: alex <alex_at_slab.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 21:00:00 +0100

On Thu, 2006-10-05 at 16:37 +0200, Julian Rohrhuber wrote:
> >I'm a bit confused about how haskell's laziness and monads helps/impacts
> >on livecoding...
>
> I'd be interested to hear about this, esp. about the difference to
> sc, which is also stateless in its pattern/ugen graph definitions.

Well I'm not the best person to answer although I'm also trying to learn
supercollider properly. I can say though that Haskell somehow allows
you to have state and imperative style programming through the power of
monads. Monads are central to haskell, quite straightforward, yet
rather difficult to fully grasp. So I really can't talk about them any
more than this. But somehow they allow you to cleanly separate
sequenced interactions with the messy world from the pure, far more
reasonable functional part of your program, by assuming the monadic
laws.

Maybe Mikael can expand on and correct all the mistakes in the above...

alex