Re: [livecode] language for conversational computing

From: alex <alex_at_slab.org>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 14:40:22 +0100

On Thu, 2006-09-21 at 14:23 +0200, Kassen wrote:
> I like that as well. It actually reminds me a lot of Eno's saying that
> "interactive is the wrong word, it should be "unfinished".".
>
> I think that's a rather interesting idea from a Livecoding perspective
> in general.

Agreed although I guess that was in the context of generative music, and
to me livecoding is a bit more interesting than generative music.
Speaking generally, generative music is aimless drifting within fixed
boundaries defined by rules, whereas livecoding allows the both the
rules defining the boundaries and the rules defining movement within
those boundaries to be changed, on-line.

I mean, live coding is 'unfinished' in a less mundane sense than a
generative music piece is 'unfinished.'

alex