Re: [livecode] modes of livecoding

From: Nick Collins <nc272_at_cam.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 17:40:53 +0100

sorry, been off email for a while, can't resist catching up with a few
quick responses.

>(alex) *a livecoding performance is not necessarily profoundly creative*

If I read this right, the same charge can be given to much over rehearsed
traditional musical performance. The stylistic bounds of music making are
often quite constrained, and live coding in many circumstances has a
potentially wider palette (though its still hard to avoid falling into
common cliches, easy to code formulations and simpler styles etc- this is
why you also need practice to cultivate a wider repertoire).

Yet I guess I will repeat again about algorithmic thinking and engagement
as being a novel experience for audience and performer. And I'd like to
think that there is some genuine and profound creativity possible if you go
deeper into the maths and the musical mappings. Live maths explorations,
live sonification adventures, all sorts of alternative creativities to the
musclebound valleys.

>(thor) a livecoder without a computer could be a pretty miserable thinker

Live coding doesn't require computers necessarily. See the Click Nilson
text piece? There is also a game I've been playing with livecode debate
audiences where I take a piece of paper to an audience member labelled:

Take this piece of paper to another audience member after modifying this
instruction.

>(fredrik) wonder why it's so hard with discipline when it comes to
coding...

perhaps we can't automate it so much, and keeping conscious of everything
all the time is inherently more tiring.

>(alex) Like bum notes, syntax errors can be avoided with practice

Hmm, sometimes bum notes become acceptable hallmarks of a style, and the
development of live coding styles through our errors might be quite fun.
You can't play everything right. And glitch and live coding go well
together.

overall:

I'm happy to concede that acoustic instrumental performance and live coding
are just different, and each interesting. And I'm with those who see
absorption and flow as possible in both situations.

For practice purposes, improvisation frameworks like Julian suggests are
good templates to develop. On this theme, maybe overall form needs more
discussion- this was one thing I liked about the Impromptu performances
from the Andrews I saw in July- they had genuinely thought about framing
their performance over time, and still allowing themselves some space to
improvise.

best