[livecode] graphical programming languages vs text

From: Peter Worth <peterworth2_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 17:20:01 +0100

Hello,

i'm relatively new to the concept of livecoding, but as a
programmer/musician who has always been concerned with performance
issues, i'm inevitably drawn to the idea and i'm very glad there is a
burgeoning scene (well done everyone etc).

my problem is this - i'm in love with the idea of being able to
explore musical ideas live, through text alone (not sure why, but the
words purity, hardcore and post-digital spring to mind). however, i
simply cannot justify it, when the music i want to make is essentially
based around signal processing, and this is so much easier to
understand and edit in a graphical environment (pd for instance)
rather than text. it seems completely counter-intuitive to patch
modules together any other way. but i dont want to do this live,
because a pd patch is fugly compared to a simple console and reams of
text.

am i wrong? i hope so. i want to invest some time learning the
techniques and languages you guys are exploring at the moment, but i
just need a little more convincing to drag me away from pd..

pete.