Re: [livecode] visual coding platforms...

From: dave <dave_at_pawfal.org>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 10:22:57 +0100

On Sun, 2006-08-13 at 22:53 +0100, alex wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-08-13 at 10:52 +0100, dave wrote:
> > diagrammatic languages == text based languages
> >
> > for instance, uml is a system for writing C++ (among other things) via
> > various diagrams and outputs compilable C++, these diagrams can be
> > generated from existing source code - they just represent a different
> > view on the same thing
>
> Yep but UML diagrams contain text, and AFAIK while you can generate
> stubs and move things around you can't transform a whole C++ program
> into UML and back again.

A lot of large scale software development is done wholly in UML, which
is then converted to C++ and built. I've never used it myself, but it is
reported to make the process of planning and detecting errors on a high
level system much easier, more so than text, which lends itself to
thinking about the details, rather than the interaction between the
parts of a system.

In these sorts of development, the only hand written code is for jobs
like the low level drivers that communicate with the outside world.

> Programs written in textual languages can sometimes look like little
> diagrams, particularly in the programmer's use of whitespace (whether
> the whitespace is ignored by the lexer or not). We're laying out groups
> of symbols in meaningful ways.
>
> However there is something special about languages rich enough to allow
> such things as introspection, self-description and so on.

There is no reason that this can't be done with a diagramatic language
as far as I am aware. For example, I've been playing around with a
script that converts lispy languages into dot graphs, it's not working
properly yet, but here is the graph representation of the program
itself:

http://www.pawfal.org/dave/images/dotty.png

I just wanted to know what they looked like, but there is no reason you
couldn't write an editor that allowed you to build programs like this.

cheers,

dave