Re: [livecode] Live Coding Practice

From: Nick Collins <nc272_at_cam.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 09:09:29 +0100

> I am unfamiliar with the history class, but being able to (re)render
> sessions sounds very useful. Could someone explain how it works?

The History class (originally by Alberto de Campo) is for SuperCollider. SC
keeps track of the any text string that is to be interpreted, and allows a
callback function to be passed this text whenever the interpreter is
invoked. History overwrites the callback to store any interpreted strings,
noting the system time at which they occurred. This just gives a list of
all the commands in time, the History, which can then be stored in various
document formats, and indeed, played back by reinterpreting the appropriate
strings in order at the given times.

This should be straightforward to implement for any livecoding systems in
which it does not already exist- ie, whenever you add a semicolon, press
enter. Perhaps it's harder (to get a compressed version) if you're just
taking snapshots with every document poll and only storing modified lines.

cheers

(it occurs that whilst it might lead to errors through undeclared or
wrongly initialised vars, you could start permuting the playback order
and/or timing and manipulate new patches out of existing ones- I could
pretend to type a lot quicker than I actually do!)