Re: [livecode] livecode gets angry comments

From: Julian Rohrhuber <rohrhuber_at_uni-hamburg.de>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 17:40:54 +0200

>On Sat, 2006-07-22 at 11:00 +0100, Nick Collins wrote:
>> Don't know if anyone posted this link yet, but more controversy stirred up
>> by the wired article?
>>
>> http://www.planet-mu.com/phorum/read.php?f=1&i=263491&t=263491
>>
>> the more irate people get, the more we should push this...
>
>I hadn't seen that, it's a good one. It's strange though how the
>overall tone is negative but when you read the posts you realise that
>probably more than half of the people are at least interested in the
>idea, and many positively enthusiastic. Only one person is wilfully
>ignorant (yes Perl is interpreted, that's how you can livecode with
>it!).
>
>So it makes a couple of people go crazy and they are the most vocal
>ones. But yes they're doing the promotional work for us, and so we
>should definitely push them as you say.

what I find interesting is that there is a pretty strong
anti-intellectual current in the critique. I think it is due to the
fact that for many people education and university are things they
are afraid of.

A while ago Fredik and I performed in Berlin and set up the place
like a classroom - us two sitting in the front row next to each other
(like the eager pupils) and the audience was granted a seat in the
back rows (the concert was called 0th hour, after the computer
courses in german schools in the 80s where one had to come to school
befor the 1st hour, at 7:15).

In a time where (at least in Europe) universities are getting
inceasingly commercial, for me live coding becomes more and more a
political issue. Not in terms of "producing" something "intellectual"
for a "naive" audience, but as a displacement of thinking styles. I
think eventually "intellectual" simply means to get used to be
confronted with things one doesn't understand.

Irritainment is essential to deconditioning. Deconditioning is
essential to the development of a sense of possibility. A sense of
possibility is essential to the possibility of being entertained by
irritation.

Universities belong to the state. The state belongs to the people.
But whoever isn't interested doesn't have to join a live coding
concert.
--
.