Re: [livecode] lc vs ap

From: Julian Rohrhuber <rohrhuber_at_uni-hamburg.de>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 16:27:37 +0200

>They introduced
>> their notion of 'expanded software' which I didn't fully understand but
>> involved interactively programming everything.
>
>they didn't fully understand it either ; )
>
>ap wanted to twist `live coding' to be `alive coding', alive in the
>environment. Their world is basically a world of software art.

The whole issue (which I do find interesting) focuses around the
question of what "life" (not live!) is - historically generative art
goes back to artificial life, so it inherits a lot from this
discourse. As far as I can see, live coding seems to inherit more
from dada/lettrism, formalism and concept art.

>live coding does sound like concert realtime programming, so
>`interactive programming' is a wider term. TOPLAP doesn't have to
>restrict itself to concerts, though this is what I (personally) find
>most artistically interesting. From a utility/prototyping
>perspective, interpreted programming languages are great, but I
>don't feel any need to explore that for art. It is the sheer
>challenge of trying to code anything interesting whatsoever in front
>of an audience, those realtime constraints on thinking that show
>some analogy to other forms of improvisation. But maybe that's just
>me ; )

no, Nick, I have the same problem ( ;

--
.