[livecode] re: Quoth (was "livecode -> midi")

From: Craig Latta <craig_at_netjam.org>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 15:44:43 -0700

Hi Atte--

> > ...I use Quoth with both internal and external MIDI devices.
>
> Ok, watched the demo. I'd like to give it a try. Is it available for
> download? Is it free software, opensource, what's the deal?

        I plan to give it away, but have yet to make a release. I'm changing a
bunch of things at the moment[*]. I plan to make a release within a week
of my Dorkbot presentation tomorrow.

        thanks!

-C

[*]

        I finally figured out how to teach new phrases to items using only
English (the first version involved occasionally switching to a
Smalltalk environment to program new words). So now I feel like it's a
full livecoding environment from the audience's point of view. There was
always livecoding going on, in the form of compiling and running
everything the player says, but that was pretty subtle and limited to
things like simple assignment, as in the movie. Non-trivial algorithms
weren't really possible without Smalltalk programming.

        The movie never showed what happened when you said something that an
item didn't understand. Now the system does something quite strange and
useful. :)

        And of course I have another project that has delayed things. :) Spoon
( http://netjam.org/spoon ) is my attempt at better system organization
and application delivery for Smalltalk, and I'd intended to make Quoth
the first thing I released for it. I expect to get that out this year,
but I should make a preliminary release of Quoth in the meantime.

--
Craig Latta
improvisational musical informaticist