Re: [livecode] livecode -> midi

From: Atte André Jensen <atte.jensen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 13:13:52 +0200

Dave Griffiths wrote:

> I think Mondrian has a lot of potential, it uses a more traditional and
> probably more competent version of the code I'm using for livecoding audio
> (and now visuals) in scheme.

But you have the growing thing going, right?

> The thing is, I've never been sure if this counts as livecoding or not, as
> its more of a macro expansion system. You can write formal rules which use
> string replacement to do arithmetic (see Douglas Hofstadter's "Godel,
> Escher, Bach") but it's probably not turing complete.

Right... Maybe I'm not a livecoder after all :-)

> I don't really care too much though, it makes good basslines :)

And moreover, being a jazzpianist with classical training (even studied
counterpoint for 2 years) I really like the way you can work with motivs
building them into themes, sequencing (that is repeating the same melody
from another scale degree) etc.. I find it a very musical way of working.

--
peace, love & harmony
Atte