[livecode] abstraction

From: Dave Griffiths <dave_at_pawfal.org>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 11:20:14 -0000 (GMT)

hi toplap

I've recently been trying to do visuals livecoding with the same code as
my music - the lsystem text thing I was doing before, but now coded in
scheme using fluxus and a lot of osc messages to tie it all together:

http://www.pawfal.org/patterncascade/
http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewcvs/livenoisetools/livenoisetools/pattern-casca
de/

The screenshots are of various ways I've tried interpreting the code, the
forms get built and animated as you write the rules for the music, so it
all becomes the same thing. I'll try and get some movies uploaded soon.

I seem to be mainly involved in building abstracted environments to
livecode in these days - wrapping lower level systems up into easy
livecodable chunks. It's gets kind of obvious that this is mainly what
programming is about really. With fluxus as an example it sort of goes:

live scripting
a Scheme script interface
fluxus Scheme binding
fluxus renderer
OpenGL
gfx driver
gfx hardware

So there is probably just as much, if not more abstraction than a GUI
would give you. I guess the difference is that right at the top of the
chain you're dealing with the same basic concepts that are present at the
bottom, while a GUI would have to translate them into something quite
different, and to some extent limited - or at least losing some of the
flexibility of the components of the machine they interface to.

Interestingly, as I learn more about Scheme, and read a book I should have
a long time ago: http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/ I find it talks a lot about
the expressive power of a programming language - particually in relation
to this abstraction building.

If anything, I think livecoding shows that there is a lot of interesting
work to be done in the realm of interface design, to make it as expressive
as a programming language in terms of telling a computer what to do.

cheers,

dave