Re: [livecode] ChucK vs SuperCollider feedback

From: Nick Collins <nc272_at_cam.ac.uk>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 09:55:08 +0100

hi jesus, greetings from the uk. How are your own ChucK adventures coming
along (I think that's the system you're exploring?)

thanks for the feedback, its really nice to hear from people who were there
(and the video took me back, hilarious, thanks for the link). I think we're
definitely in the exploratory stage still where we have to keep pushing
ourselves against the challenges and be honest about our successes and
failures.

My current inclination is that live coding (in the concert sense) is
possible:

by adaptation of presets in a lower stress manner

from scratch when covered by a second party, jury out on whether any
profound algorithms can be explored.

And both of these can of course look esoteric. Perhaps some of us need to
add some coding shortcuts to our languages for self-commented pseudo code
like writing (Loop, CompositionTask, makesound etc) so as to move towards
the accessibility of Craig's interface, though I doubt that process can be
taken that far if we're still going for the profound algorithm from scratch
goal. But yes, (speaking for myself), coding a few classes that save typing
and whose constructs are evident to an audience would be helpful- it's the
old 'what is the fair blank slate' problem. Perhaps we're going to be up
against charges of being a relatively closed guild and lacking embodiment
for all time unless there is some universal tangible interface language
that develops out of algorithmic literacy in people's home lives...

best,

--On Saturday, September 17, 2005 2:35 am -0700 jesus gollonet