Re: [livecode] time and livecoding

From: Nick Collins <nc272_at_cam.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 10:03:33 +0100

I enjoyed this thoughtful and insightful essay very much.

perhaps there is a spectacle in seeing livecoders wrestle with time
constraints? Juggling their real-time and compose-time.

The most successful performances I've seen so far seem to have involved
small groups of coders, usually a duo, (10, as in transmediale was probably
too unwieldy without lots of rehearsal discipline) where one artist can
play much more in real-time while the other is in idea-time and then they
can swap. Covering each other's algorithmic backs...

I often cheat outrageously, because I'm too busy in something like klipp av
to allocate any real idea-time. The best I can offer is some variation on
an existing algorithm where the improvisation seems to allow it within the
large-scale time constraints.

But my best live coding has always occurred when there is someone else
there, who can take away the moment to moment demands of the audio (video)
output audience while I fall into algorithm-world and fabricate. Coming
back up from such constructions, I am ready to perform in real-time more
effectively while someone else submerges.