Re: [livecode] ICMC Inspirational Ideas

From: Nick Collins <nc272_at_cam.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 09:21:11 +0100

Do people have any exciting and entirely unimplemented ideas about the
future of live coding? I enclose a few below off the top of my head, I'm
sure others have better thought out proposals. I have dropped worries about
spotting the halting problem etc in the below- besides which, I think
humans often miss potential infinite loops...also, I'm sure some research
in computer science is directed especially at the first of these:

programming style analysis- artificial agents look at a corpus of your
coding style and try to predict the things you will do, as subversion or
support. It's like a monster auto-complete given free reign over your
present self. David Cope style statistical analysis might be a way in here,
EACI- experiments in artistic coding intelligence.

coding a large scale project collaboratively as performance. In this piece,
each coder is assigned part of a larger specification than they could
complete alone. (a composer provides the spec). The project is designed so
that temporary stubs can be gradually expanded into the finished product,
giving snapshots of the generative beast along the way.

Deconstructing Codey. In this game (eventually for future child musicians)
a well known music algorithm is taken to pieces. Each player gets to remove
a line at a time. The game is over when the algorithm stops outputting
anything. So it's a live coding Jenga.

Auto GUI- running code is given GUI controls automatically so that others
can manipulate it. This requires some building in of explicit input specs
for algorithms, but might give some promising directions. Perhaps scuppered
by changing functionality during live coding, and removes flexibility? I
have seen limited forms of this, ie in Crucial system for SC.

Any advances?

--On Wednesday, May 18, 2005 11:46 am -0400 Ge Wang

>>> (www.s2s2.org) is proposing another way of actively participate
>>> and
>>> interact in the conference apart from the traditional calls
>>> (papers,
>>> music,..)
>>>
>>> The basic idea is to have a venue where researchers and composers
>>> can
>>> discuss preliminary or visionary ideas. The ideas can be
>>> musical,
>>> technical, scientific, theoretical, practical, .... No proven results
>>> or
>>> developed systems are required, the only restriction is that the
>>> ideas
>>> should be original, inspired and thought provoking.
>>>
>>> The proposals will be reviewed by a panel. The authors will have a 5
>>> min
>>> presentation time in a free-spirited discussion forum inside the
>>> ICMC05
>>> activities. The accepted proposals will be printed as handouts