[livecode] more on video switches

From: Amy Alexander <amy_at_plagiarist.org>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 18:24:41 -0800 (PST)

i picked up a KVM switch over the weekend to test out with projector.
(hope to return if we don't need.)
unfortunately as i suspected, it's not possible to leave a port vacant to
use as "black" (no sync so the projector starts searching for input). on
the other hand, a computer hooked up to it with a blank screensaver works
reasonably well as a "black" signal. so, if we want to, we could:

a) have several people hooked up on projector A to the "real" switch as
planned
b) have 2 people on one of the other blended projectors (call it
"B") alternate playing.
whoever is not playing would leave their computer there running a blank
screensaver, but set not to go into standby.
c) when we want to eliminate chaos, switch the display on projector B to
the "blank" computer. performer on projector B can continue playing audio,
but their screen won't be seen.
d) in order to balance things out, we can also black out projector "A"
sometimes (the switch there has a black position on it automatically.)

the KVM switch i picked up also unfortunately requires a ps/2 keyboard -
has no manual switch. i wouldn't like to haul another keyboard with me
(i'm bringing one or 2 of my usb portables already), though somewhere at
home i have a flexible rubber keyboard i might be able to bring if i can
find it. though if there's a ps/2 keyboard someone can bring from berlin,
that'd be nice.

or: if this all seems too complicated, we could just forget about it and
have all images supered. i'm just a bit concerned because 2 images for the
whole show wouldn't be too bad, but 3 the whole time could look a bit
chaotic.

thoughts?

-_at_