[livecode] [Fwd: Re: toplap workshop at transmediale]

From: alex <alex_at_slab.org>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2004 00:21:32 +0000

Turns out my proposed workshop structure isn't suitable - the capacity
of the workshop is small without the coming and going as I suggested.
So it looks like Nick's ideas of concentrated workshops are more
sensible, apologies Nick, we should have gone for that in the first
place.

However, a good thing has come from our bold proposal, Carsten is
looking to see if we can do two hours worth of presentations in the main
conference space. His mail is attached. Thoughts appreciated as ever!

attached mail follows:

hi alex,

> Hi Carsten,
>
> On Wed, 2004-12-08 at 20:17 +0100, carsten stabenow wrote:
>> as jan allready told you monday february 7th would be the best day for your
>> workshop at transmediale.
>
> Yes that fits for us too I think.

ok.

>> the workshops at transmediale are normaly open for 10-15 participants and
>> scheduled from 12-7pm (whole day workshop). we can decide if you would
>> prefer one big (whole day workshop) or two half day segments.
>
> 10-15 participants might be a problem, because there will be 11 TOPLAP
> members there already! It's in that room near the bar, right? What is
> the capacity?

i guess 20 people would fit in.
im not sure if 11 workshop leaders would make sense, what you propose sounds
more like a presentation for a conference space.

> So the proposed workshop title is: "Introducing ChucK, feedback.pl,
> fluxus, jitlib, musique littéral, noisepattern, PureEvents, redFrik and
> The Thingee towards Live Algorithm Performance"
>
> So that's nine systems to present.
>
> One proposed structure could be:
>
> Session 1: ChucK, fluxus, PureEvents, redFrik, musique litttéral
> 12:00 - introduction and ChucK presentation
> 12:45 - fluxus presentation
> 13:05 - PureEvents
> 13:25 - redFrik
> 13:45 - musique litttéral
> 14:00 - installathon and hands-on workshop
>
> Session 2: jitlib, The Thingee, noisepattern, feedback.pl
> 16:00 - short introduction (for those that missed session 1) and jitlib
> 17:00 - The Thingee
> 17:20 - noisepattern
> 17:40 - feedback.pl
> 18:00 - installathon and hands-on workshop
>
> Some of the presenters might not be able to make it, which would mean
> more time for hands on work. If the first session looks as if it might
> be overrunning, we can move one of the presenters later.
>
> What do you think? I worry that the presenters might outnumber the
> other participants! Is there a bigger room that could be used?

hm, there is no other space for the workshops. but maybe we should check if
we can modify it in direction of a presentation of all the tools and systems
in the conference space for a bigger audience (duration 2 h) and a
concentrated workshop with up to 3 workshop leaders and 12 people audience
afterwards.
for us it is important, that the workshops can be accessed by audience, it
would make no sense to do a more internal meeting workshop in this space.

let me know what you think.

>> in any case it would be nice to have a presentation of the results
>> afterwards on the so called "salon stage" at haus der kulturen der
>> welt, it could be a jam together with the participants or something.
>
> Ok, I'll ask the others what they think of that.

ok.

>> as we are in the middle of catalogue compilation it would be important for
>> now to get a short text of what you are going to in the workshop. (max. 400
>> characters summary, structure of the workshop, intoduced systems, people...)
>
> Sure, when do you need this by?

this weekend? would be helpfull.

>> and we should discuss all technical details (your needs and questions) soon.
>
> It's going to be something like two data projectors, one audio mixer and
> some nice powered speakers or something.

ok, should be no problem.

best, carsten