[livecode] tm05 and toplap

From: alex <alex_at_slab.org>
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2004 19:02:40 +0000

Dear Andreas,

Hope all is well with you.

I'm writing to tell you briefly about TOPLAP and our plans for
transmediale, and to ask your advice.

We at TOPLAP (Transnational Organisation for Promotion of Live Algorithm
Programming) have charged ourselves with the exploration and promotion
of live algorithms - that is algorithms that can be edited while they
are executing. We project our screens during performances so that the
audience may see the sourcecode of the software that is generating the
music and/or video, as it is written and manipulated.

More information about past performances, papers, our manifesto etc can
be found at http://toplap.org/

We're very pleased to have our proposal for (club) transmediale 2005
accepted, and are piecing together a plan. Jan Rohlf has asked us to
conduct a half day workshop, group performance and participate in a
talk/panel session. We've also been in contact with c-base (who you
introduced Saul and I to last year), hopefully we'll be able to organise
with them a further evening of performances by TOPLAP members.

Now on to the problems. There are ten TOPLAP members who would like to
participate in these proceedings, and it would be great for us to have
as many people there as possible, many of us haven't yet met each other
face to face. Here we are:

* Fredik Olofsson (berlin)
* Kristjan Varnik (berlin)
* Julian Rohrhuber (de)
* Alberto de Campo (de)
* Nick Collins (uk)
* Dave Griffiths (uk)
* Ade Ward (uk)
* Alex McLean (uk)
* Amy Alexander (us)
* Ge Wang (us)

Of course club transmediale can help with travel for some of us, but
only 3 or 4. Also you can see that four of us are based in Germany, two
will be in Berlin. So the big cost is with bringing Amy Alexander and
Ge Wang over. We estimate that return flights from the US to Berlin
will be around 408 euros per person.

We have raised 700 euros in donations from TOPLAP performance and
presentation fees, but think we need another 400-500 euros on top of
that to get everyone to transmediale.

So I have two things to ask - firstly if we were to hold an event at
c-base one evening during transmediale, could that be affiliated to
transmediale as with the dorkbot last year?

Secondly, do you have ideas for how we might find the missing money for
travel expenses? Perhaps there are still other areas in which we can
get involved with a bit more funding. Any suggestions or help would be
much appreciated.

Take care and best wishes,

alex