Re: [livecode] toplap

From: Dave Griffiths <dave_at_pawfal.org>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 14:35:22 +0100

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 14:00:56 +0100, Adrian Ward wrote
> On 28 Oct 2004, at 1:25 pm, alex wrote:
>
> > The aims behind both statement one and statement three are to avoid
> > smoke and mirrors
>
> This is shaky ground because you seem to be using TOPLAP's manifesto
> to make a stand against the theatrical elements of a musical
> performance
> (by saying that smoke and mirrors are a bad thing). Actually,
> illusion is a key factor of many performances, and music and
> theatre are by no means mutually exclusive; there are elements of
> either in both.

Hmm, good point... hadn't thought of it in a theatrical sense...

arg, I suppose I just take the toplap ideal to be about de-mystifying the
computer art experience, as it's become infested with secretive types all
doing the same thing.

You can't hide the process of playing a trumpet (well you could but people
dont tend to :) ) onlookers can gather information about how you're doing it
and be inspired - inspired by the whole package, the performance _and_ the
sounds. We just need some of that honesty.

With a trumpet the act and the sound are inseperable and immediate, with a
computer they are not.

I think I'm taking it too far - it's enough just to show that you are
operating on something, which at the most has a visual indication of
complexity (amount of code) which relates somehow to the complexity of the result.

I'd still like to aim for Alex's "statement three" though. This may have more
in common with something like kinetic art than a performance though.

Really need to shut up now and do some work ;)

dave