Re: [livecode] toplap

From: Ge Wang <gewang_at_CS.Princeton.EDU>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 05:59:58 -0400

On Oct 25, 2004, at 5:40 AM, Dave Griffiths wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 16:22:26 +0100 (BST), Marcel Gonzalez Corso wrote
>>> follow parallel

>>> that!
>>>
>>> If you can read code through control flow, then it's
>>> possible to
>>> understand
>>> at least one flow, if the language/system lends
>>> itself to that.
>>> Parallel flow is
>>> harder, but if you can parse a band into component
>>> parallel members,
>>> then
>>> maybe it's possible and interesting to do so with
>>> code.
>>>

>> What about coloring the code line wich is being
>> executed differently? Like many debuggers do...
>> And do that for all the threads (or scripts) that are
>> playing? Arrange them in the screen(s).
>> The viewer/listener could try to relate one sound
>> pattern to one of the threads?
>>
>> To be readable i guess it would be necessary to
>> sleep(some time) on every codeline. bluerg!
>
> yeah, on the whole, I think this would be a useful addition to live
> coding
> environments, but it's hard. In my music app for instance, there is a
> lot of
> seperation between the sequencer and the interface that would make this
> difficult, as they are different processes - you could do it, but
> getting the
> timing right would be very hard...

We are trying to do this now with the Audicle - our approach is map
instructions
to ChucK statements, and have the ChucK statements "glow" as executed.
The
VM is polled at a aperiodic rate (to avoid phase locks with control
flow) to figure
what instruction is being executed.

> OTOH, another advantage to the virtual machine approach is the ability
> to view
> the contents of memory and registers as the code is running, this is as
> important to understanding the process as view the code IMHO, and in a
> very
> small (virtual) processor, quite simple to display and understand.

Yes. Right now we don't have good things to show for it, but working
hard to
look into all we can do with ChucK VM - there is a gigantic amount,
thanks to
Moore's Law.

Best,
Ge!