[livecode] re: idea: musical interactive fiction

From: Craig Latta <craig_at_netjam.org>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 11:21:51 -0700

        Thanks, all, for the encouragement!

        Adrian writes:

> There's something vaguely HyperTalkish about it, though. And whilst
> that's generally a positive thing for accessibility, there's
> something rather silly about statements like
>
> if there is a character "?" in theQuestion then
> put "!" into character (the length of theQuestion) - 1 of
> theQuestion
> end if

        The parser allows more straightforward statements; the above would
probably be "if the expression ends with a question mark, end the
expression with an exclamation point". Everything is completely
grammatical, and there's no need for compoundWords, (gratuitous spaces),
or <clause> delimited clauses </clause>. But I know what you mean. :)

> Natural language coding is great for beginners but it gets messy very
> quickly when - as a programmer - you need more advanced possibilities.

        Yeah, I think the trickiest thing for me in this context will be trying
to do everything as a series of one-liners. It seems doable, though,
especially given the ability to "look" at what's been done so far, so as
not to lose track of things.

> do you have any further examples/ideas?

        Well, when I was thinking about using a special room for "preshow"
music, I started thinking about manipulating prerecorded material, and
expressions like "slow the pitch to 50%", "play backwards", "enqueue 'A
Hard Day's Night'", and so on. Also, the idea of "taking" musical
elements and carrying them from one room to another is appealing. And I
plan to use heavily the ability to move between different scopes of a
musical structure, to tweak things. E.g.:

***

the score> speak to the third note of the thirty-first measure

        Hi, a note here.

a note> your pitch is A4

        Okay.

***

(While the score is playing, of course.)

        What I plan to do now is just run the thing, try to keep it
interesting, and record the transcripts for people to review (which
hopefully will lead to more suggestions).

        Actually telling some sort of story over the course of a show
(improvised, ideally) would be a lot of fun.

        thanks again,

-C

--
Craig Latta