Re: [livecode] Hello (& chaos)

From: alex <alex_at_state51.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 11:20:28 +0100

On Fri, 2004-09-10 at 10:22, Danny Ayers wrote:
> Not as it stands, nope - Java probably isn't a good language for that
> kind of change, though changing the value of the feedback constant
> would have a marked (and fairly unpredictable) effect.
> What language(s) have you been using?

I've been mostly using Perl, live coding is not a huge problem as it's
an interpreted language. I interpret code changes into a separate area,
and if that parses ok, I interpret it again, over the running code. The
new code continues running with all variables intact.

But I'm wondering if you got the wrong impression from the Perl.com
article... While it mentions both generative music and TOPLAP, TOPLAP
isn't an organisation to proliferate/promote autonomous generative
music. Quite the opposite, we're here to promote live manipulation of
processes.

Generative music is about sowing seeds, comparable with genetic
modification; altering DNA, putting the DNA in eggs, and watching it
grow to see/hear the effects. In contrast, TOPLAP is more about
splicing different live animals together, piecing them together from
scratch in the womb, modifying their DNA while they're still growing,
then experimenting with different ways of slaughtering them to get the
best audio/visual/aromatic effects.

Note the above is a metaphor, I would not condone any such activities on
real life-forms (computer processes are not known to experience pain,
and don't have faces).

The TOPLAP papers might be enlightening:
  http://toplap.org/?ToplapPapers

So while your fractal composition is interesting, I don't think TOPLAP
will ratify it until you can modify the algorithm while it is being
played.

Ade wrote something about what TOPLAP should expect from its students,
which you might find helpful: http://toplap.org/?LivecodingGrades

Cheers,

alex