Re: [livecode] live coding lsystems

From: Dave Griffiths <dave_at_pawfal.org>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 14:34:38 +0100

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 10:45:14 +0000, f_at_fredrikolofsson.com wrote
> >A little report on livecoding lsystem descriptions of melodies.
>
> funny, i read...
> http://www.generativeart.com/papersga2003/a26.htm

They have cellular automata in there as well, I've been playing with them too
- live coding CA's in my system consist of flipping rule bits on and off though.

There is a lot of genetic searching going on in that system (is that OSCAR?).
>From the screenshots it looks like you can search quickly for acceptable
results, and then tweak the system by hand if need be.

That paper looks damn interesting, I'll have to read it through properly when
I get time.

As an aside, something I've been thinking about recently is that most
livecoding seems to consist of quite high level scripts (or in these cases -
rule systems). Something that may also be interesting would be lower level
code, assembly and microcode. In evolving code systems like tierra
(http://www.his.atr.jp/~ray/tierra/) we have unbreakable machine code - every
instruction is valid IIRC. Could be fun to livecode a system you can't get
wrong :)

Related to this, sort of, is the current fashion for 8bit computers -
livecoding zx spectrum basic for visuals :] anyone done this?

cheers,

dave