Re: [livecode] finishing paper

From: alex <alex_at_state51.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 16:12:12 +0100

Nick,

The following section doesn't fit in the section on feedback.pl, as it
is a general point. I'll remove it, but feel free to integrate it
elsewhere if it fits usefully.

Terms such as "generative music" and "processor music" have been
invented and appropriated to describe this new perspective on
composition. Much is made of the alleged properties of so called
"generative music" that separate the composer from the resulting work.
Brian Eno likens making generative music to sowing seeds that are left
to grow, and suggests we give up control to our processes, leaving
them to "play in the wind."

This is only one approach to combining software with music, one that
this paper wishes to counter quite strongly. We advocate the
humanisation of generative music, where code isn't left alone to
meander through its self-describing soundscape, but is hacked
together, chopped up and moulded to make live music.