Re: [livecode] finishing paper

From: Nick Collins <nc272_at_cam.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 10:38:58 +0100

I've revised a lot.

Intro incorporates Julian, Fredrik suggestions, live programming for public
exhibition is now more one thread amongst others.

I added TOPLAP description plus mailing list posting proviso.

The Manifesto is now for live programming performance specifically to
sidestep the issues we'll otherwise stumble over.

I added Ade, Ge as co-authors; we should link the TOPLAP logo in the TOPLAP
section.

Cheers

PS Fredrik, Dave, Julian, do you want to add in some of your recent
comments to your sections?

Julian, in particular this is very useful:

I would say that doing live programming alone, I am the audience and
programmer in one, which is not a trivial unity, but a quite heterogeneous
one, in which the language, my expectations, my perceptions, errors and my
poetic and/or programming style play their own roles. The situation with
one or more persons as audience, or, not to forget, as coperformers, is an
interesting extension of this situation, but it is by no means primary.
There are many specific problems of this larger interaction, such as
readablility performance style etc. which are well worth discussing, but I
would not constrain interactive programming to this specific public
situation.
For the film "Alles was wir haben" this was the situation that was
responsible for how the whole idea worked and it was what I did while
working on jitlib. I could describe the compositional work I did more in
details, but maybe this is already a general description of a type of
situation which I find very interesting in itself.

In my experience it allows a very spontaneous interaction with the music in
combination with talking about the music. This means I can, while playing,
talk with others about what they hear, think, etc. or about other topics
even and as the sound keeps playing I can react to these conversations by
changing the code. Then I am not in the situation of the one who is looked
at (especially as it is not my body movements which are so interesting,
hmhm..) but the code / sound relation is in the center of attention. Of
course, one step further, in networked live coding there is a flow of code
between all participants which can, to different degrees, interact and
contribute. Nobody knows who does what anyways.