Re: [livecode] ramble

From: Nick Collins <nc272_at_cam.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 16:07:35 +0100

This is great, I have begun to be enthused! I added this to the swiki along
with some sorting of refs, intro etc. I added a definition of live coding
to get us started wrangling- please discuss:

Live coding is the act of programming under real-time constraints, for an
audience, as an artistic entertainment. Any software art may be programmed,
but the program should have demonstrable consequences within the
performance venue. A performance that makes successive stages of the code
construction observable, for example, through the use of an interpreted
programming language, may be the preferred dramatic option. Text interfaces
and compiler quirks are part of the fun, but a level of virtuosity in
dealing with the problems of code itself, as well as in the depth of
algorithmic beauty, may provide a more connoisseurial angle into the
display.