[livecode] Re: Future distributed ICLC?

From: Tom Betts <tom_at_nullpointer.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2019 19:06:35 +0100

I am not active really at all in this scene, but i do keep up with what
people are doing and I really enjoyed the streams from the last ICLC.
I did want to pop in and say a few things though.

I'm pretty sure that the intention behind the original suggestion was in no
way to keep the conference exclusive or elitist or anything. It most likely
comes from a real sense of growing concern for
the environment. I'm not sure how much this concern is registering across
the world, but in the UK right now it is an increasingly visible issue. Of
course its easy to ignore personal responsibilities to
reducing this and place the blame at the foot of governments and industry,
but its still worth taking the time to think how comfortable you are with
your contribution to global emissions etc
http://www.theprogressmotive.org/one-flight-can-burn-through-your-annual-fair-share-of-carbon/
I know quite a few people who will refuse to fly to conferences simply on
this principle. Of course this is easier to say for someone who has already
done their fair share of flying around/career forming
 in the past (and hypocritical too) but its still worth thinking about.
>From the area I practice in, GDC is the biggest annual conference and is
held in SF(USA) every year. Recently it has come under scrutiny because its
location is deemed to restrict access for lots
of practitioners based in other locations around the globe. It is also to
be honest quite frequently a case where you will fly there and see the same
people every year (and in many cases, if you live in a major city or in the
UK, some of the same people you live near at home). One response to this
has been to try and set up distributed conferences and local equivalents.
This also helps local scenes develop and get a sense of their own identity
and contributions. Siting a conference in a physical location (even if
different each time) will always exclude some people due to
geography/expense. Having elements of local / distributed hubs can only
help to create a better network. I dont have any real answers for this, but
I am sure it is being suggested with the best intentions.

Tom Betts
www.nullpointer.co.uk
https://twitter.com/#!/TomNullpointer
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tomnullpointer/