Re: [livecode] Livecode community

From: Jeffrey Brown <jeffbrown.the_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2018 11:29:36 -0500

I like Gitter a lot. It integrates well with Git, it lets you pretty up
your code and URLs easily, and it's simple.

On Wed, Jan 3, 2018 at 10:35 AM, Alex McLean <alex_at_slab.org> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I thought I'd start a discussion about the way forward for the online
> live coding community.
>
> We currently have cross-community discussions taking place:
>
> - on the toplap slack - http://livecode.slack.com
> - on lurk.org, e.g. on this list and the algorave one
> - other places like facebook etc
>
> The slack is popular, with loads of activity + channels, but it's
> problematic because it's quite closed off and the message archive
> disappears all the time. Discussion also moves fast so it's hard to
> keep up anyway. Plus slack.com aren't really interested in hosting
> open communities so will probably chuck us out at some point.
>
> Lurk.org is fine but not very active these days, and difficult to
> maintain (running a mail server is not as easy as it used to be). It
> runs the groupserver software which seems rather bitrotted.
>
> Perhaps we should think about
> - moving live chat from slack.com to the similar but much more open
> gitter, e.g.:
> https://gitter.im/livecoders/
> - moving this mailing list from groupserver to the more actively
> developed mailman3/hyperkitty system which is looking nice these days.
>
> Any thoughts/other ideas?
>
> cheers
>
> alex
>
> --
>
> Read the whole topic here: livecode:
> http://lurk.org/r/topic/45lCqUwcrI8WzVyc6tevxx
>
> To leave livecode, email livecode_at_group.lurk.org with the following email

Jeff Brown | Jeffrey Benjamin Brown
Website <https://msu.edu/~brown202/>   |   Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/mejeff.younotjeff>   |   LinkedIn
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/jeffreybenjaminbrown>(spammy, so I often miss