[livecode] Livecode community

From: Alex McLean <alex_at_slab.org>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2018 15:35:18 +0000

Hi all

I thought I'd start a discussion about the way forward for the online
live coding community.

We currently have cross-community discussions taking place:

- on the toplap slack - http://livecode.slack.com
- on lurk.org, e.g. on this list and the algorave one
- other places like facebook etc

The slack is popular, with loads of activity + channels, but it's
problematic because it's quite closed off and the message archive
disappears all the time. Discussion also moves fast so it's hard to
keep up anyway. Plus slack.com aren't really interested in hosting
open communities so will probably chuck us out at some point.

Lurk.org is fine but not very active these days, and difficult to
maintain (running a mail server is not as easy as it used to be). It
runs the groupserver software which seems rather bitrotted.

Perhaps we should think about
- moving live chat from slack.com to the similar but much more open
gitter, e.g.:
    https://gitter.im/livecoders/
- moving this mailing list from groupserver to the more actively
developed mailman3/hyperkitty system which is looking nice these days.

Any thoughts/other ideas?

cheers

Read the whole topic here: livecode:
http://lurk.org/r/topic/45lCqUwcrI8WzVyc6tevxx