Re: [livecode] First live coding performance? Tom DeFanti, 1976, with video / paper

From: Amy Alexander <amy_at_plagiarist.org>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2014 16:45:15 -0800

Yeah, AFAIK nobody projected the RT/1 code; it was on a separate monitor
that generally wasn't hooked up for video output. So they would have had to
put a camera on the screen and mix it through the switcher, as they did in
the documentation video. I think they just did it that way in the video to
show what they were doing.

Anyway, here's some not-quite-live coding from Bell Labs EAT in the 60's..
just cause any discussion of early coding of motion graphics should by law
include them! Oh yeah, also because they're very cool to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Lmi6cmrq0w
Around 8:00 for the coding action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crbfSY6vf7s
Around 3:45 for the motion graphics (I think the animator is Stan
Vanderbeek), but really, the whole film is worth watching.. lots of early
computer music, speech synth including a computer singing Daisy Bell _at_
10:00 (may or may not be the one HAL was based on..)

The language used for the first one is Ken Knowlton's BEFLIX, and I believe
for the segment at 3:45 in the second film too.

Then of course there's Ivan Sutherland's sketchpad, not quite livecoding,
but here's an interesting bit of
Flowcharting = coding
http://youtu.be/BKM3CmRqK2o?t=7m50s

#!,