Re: [livecode] Source Code Change Propagation

From: alex <alex_at_slab.org>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 20:52:58 +0100

Nice insights, Davide!

On 5 August 2013 12:04, Davide Della Casa <davidedc_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> There is no CTRL-enter or shift-enter, no "play button" - the program just
> runs while typed. If you want to suspend the evaluation of the program
> temporarily, just add a simple syntax error (like a slash somewhere it
> shouldn't be, or an unbalanced parenthesis), and then remove that syntax
> error when happy.
>
> We could have made use of an explicit play/pause button, but we are trying
> to see whether we can dispense of that "modality".

I just wanted to pick up on this.. I experimented with this early on
with feedback.pl, but dismissed it straight away as impractical.
Perhaps this was partly to do with Perl though, maybe it has more
keywords which are prefixes of other keywords.. But I remember not
wanting to worry about the order in which I wrote things, etc. As you
describe it, it seems to add extra cognitive load, for no clear gain.

Basically, for me a "single edit" of a piece of code is very rarely a
keypress, but a word, or a larger structure.

Have you found any good reasons to stick with the keypress-as-edit approach?

Cheers

alex