Re: [livecode] when is it live coding, when not?

From: Rob Myers <rob_at_robmyers.org>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 11:12:55 -0700

On 14/08/13 03:10 AM, alex wrote:

> I think I disagree. Live performance is the most visible and easy to
> communicate context for live coding but is not the only or the original one.

I do think performance is key, but that performance doesn't just mean
"in front of an audience". For example Pink Floyd Live At Pompeii, or
Jackson Pollock.

However I also feel that improvisation has to be part of it. But that is
part of non-live programming (you are always making up new code). And if
you're coding in the REPL you get immediate results, which is IMO
another part of live coding.

Is typing an old BASIC program from a book live coding if it's done on a
stage with a projector? How about at home? In 1983?