Re: [livecode] when is it live coding, when not?

From: David Griffiths <dave_at_pawfal.org>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 14:26:40 +0100

Hi all,

On 14/08/13 09:00, David Barbour wrote:

> There are different but related concerns related to on-line
> programming, which includes the outside world in the live feedback
> loop. Examples of this include live coding in front of an audience,
> live systems programming, live coding in conference presentations,
> live coding with clients, and so on.
>

> Yes, those are all relevant. I'd personally like to see rapid
> prototyping supported at business meetings. And I'm also interested in
> on-the-fly programming (e.g. for smart homes) in augmented reality.

I do a bit of livecoding with clients - some interesting pressures
involved, and it's not all positive:

- programming time is somehow devalued "if it's so quick for you to do
this then..." doesn't always lead in effective directions

- a tendency to focus on details rather than the big picture (sometimes
better to talk about a thing abstractly than be sat there tweaking it)

- existing livecoding tools are great for sandbox stuff, but not so good
when it comes to integrating with standard tool chains (yet)

Clients don't need to see livecoding like an audience to get the benefit
of course, as rapid prototyping means there is less friction regarding
big changes generally throughout a project.

The key is to make it participatory of course.

cheers,

dave