Re: [livecode] when is it live coding, when not?

From: thor <th.list_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 11:38:23 +0100

I just remembered a nice description by Fabrice Mogini earlier on this list:

"I use live coding mainly for composing; in that case, the live aspect is not about a performance but for bringing together improvisation and composition.The real-time feedback while editing code is useful to prevent compositional systems from getting out of hand and forgetting about perception (eg: serialist techniques)."

Live coding is hard to define. I see it as a technique, and at some point in the future the term will dissolve, as it will become a natural tool to pick up from the toolbox of compositional and performance techniques.

thor