Re: [livecode] live 2013

From: Kassen <signal.automatique_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 18:52:21 +0100

On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 05:23:39PM +0100, Julian Rohrhuber wrote:
> - the idea of conversation and thinking aloud

I'm happy that you mention this. In my experience the typical setup
for the performance of "popular" (read; involving beats and beers)
electronic music with its stage or DJ booth makes it very hard to
truly engage a audience. You can entertain them, they might dance and
even shout but a real connection was always a hard thing to for me to
form.

I see a strong similarity between livecoding and "playing on the
floor", by which I mean putting a table with our gear on the dancefloor
itself and playing "in" the audience. Both take some guts but are IMHO
very much worth it. It seems to me that this is exactly what modern
music needs now; the total opposite of a few tens of gigabytes of
compressed recordings in a database-backed player that while good at
searching is utterly unaware of how the files it manages relate to us.

> We should simply use both terms live coding and live programming
> interchangeably, just as all the other terms. I keep fluctuating,
> which is bad for publicity, but I can't help it.

Sounds healthy to me. It sounds to me like you are "looking" and
"developing". I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Yours,
Kas.