Re: [livecode] live 2013

From: alex <alex_at_lurk.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 17:11:01 +0000

On 17 January 2013 16:23, Julian Rohrhuber
<julian.rohrhuber_at_musikundmedien.net> wrote:
> We should simply use both terms live coding and live programming interchangeably, just as all the other terms. I keep fluctuating, which is bad for publicity, but I can't help it.

I've come to terms with this use for this reason - we say "programming
languages" but don't say "coding languages". So then it's easy to
avoid confusion by seeing "live programming" as shorthand for "live
programming languages", as in (live) (programming languages) rather
than (live programming) (languages).

Therefore, live programming is about systems, and live coding is about
using those systems to make art, and/or in social situations. I.e.
live coders are a subset of live programmers.

In which case, live coders we're very likely to be interested in live
programming languages and therefore conflate them, but a live
programmer might not necessarily be interested in live coding, e.g. if
they don't like art or social situations.

That at least is my rationalisation of this situation.. In truth I
guess we are different groups with a big overlap of interests and
people, and slightly awkward differences in terminology. But I think
it's worth reconsidering our language for the greater good.

alex