Re: [livecode] is live coding aiming to audience with particular programming knowledge

From: thor <th.list_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 20:14:39 +0000

Hi list

Lots of discussion going on today. Great!

On 13 Jan 2013, at 17:52, alex wrote:

> On 13 January 2013 17:22, David Barbour <dmbarbour_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>> I mean the [livecode] or TOPLAP community, whose more vociferous members
>> have repeatedly complained about how 'live programming' is usurped in the
>> mainstream (cf. the recent '[livecode] live 2013' topic). It is clear I'm
>> following a trend you dislike, but I plan to continue doing so.
>
> I think you're talking about me here. I agree with Thor - I'm happy if
> "live programming" really does settle as a more general term for "live
> coding".

I'm not sure if I ever had an opinion on this Alex, I think we were just
discussing the dichotomy set up by the Live workshop's call for papers.

It seemed after that discussion that live coding and live programming were
quite equal terms, separated from interactive programming which is more
the term as used in industry. (And nobody seems to have yet understood
the Live workshop's distinction between the LC and LP, BTW).

I think "live coding" is much better for PR reasons, when advertising gigs : )

But it also seems to me that the question is very much about output and goals.
Live coding as we know it, is typically producing some output that is of artistic
value (music, visuals, games, dance, etc.). I've not seen live coding for the
sake of coding yet (conceptual code), but that might exist. Anyone knows?

> For now though I find this a bit confusing -- as far as I've seen the
> mainstream are using "live coding" across multiple contexts, whether
> it's notch writing code while screencasting to tens of thousands, or
> people demoing APIs in conference talks, or making music in bars, or
> designing programming languages.

I think the confusion is bound to be there for a long time, and we might
not get any clear definitions.

> I have no complaints with the live programming workshop organisers,
> they have made great efforts to make cross-disciplinary connections
> from the outset.

Agreed.