Re: [livecode] is live coding aiming to audience with particular programming knowledge

From: alex <alex_at_lurk.org>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 17:52:24 +0000

On 13 January 2013 17:22, David Barbour <dmbarbour_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 at 8:59 AM, alex <alex_at_lurk.org> wrote:
>> That seems a peculiar definition of interaction (and reaction) to me,
>> could you reference it please?
> It was the documentation for either Lustre or Esterel (both are synchronous
> reactive dataflow languages) where I first read that definition, but I've
> seen it elsewhere.

Having not used either of these the connotations I have are with the
use of the word interactions around "interactive computation" and
physical interaction. If you do find an authoritative reference for
this, I'd appreciate seeing it.

I certainly believe you when you say that interaction has connotations
of turn-taking for you, but I'm interested in why, and whether I'm
likely to have similar problems discussing interaction with other
people.

>> I use the historical term "conversational programming" for what you
>> describe as interactive programming.
> That phrase turns up some interesting stuff, but nothing that I'd describe
> as interactive.

Well, the interactive situation you described seemed like a conversation to me.

> I mean the [livecode] or TOPLAP community, whose more vociferous members
> have repeatedly complained about how 'live programming' is usurped in the
> mainstream (cf. the recent '[livecode] live 2013' topic). It is clear I'm
> following a trend you dislike, but I plan to continue doing so.

I think you're talking about me here. I agree with Thor - I'm happy if
"live programming" really does settle as a more general term for "live
coding".

For now though I find this a bit confusing -- as far as I've seen the
mainstream are using "live coding" across multiple contexts, whether
it's notch writing code while screencasting to tens of thousands, or
people demoing APIs in conference talks, or making music in bars, or
designing programming languages.

I have no complaints with the live programming workshop organisers,
they have made great efforts to make cross-disciplinary connections
from the outset.

http://yaxu.org/