Re: [livecode] is live coding aiming to audience with particular programming knowledge

From: Ross Bencina <rossb-lists_at_audiomulch.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 09:37:58 +1100

On 14/01/2013 9:22 AM, David Barbour wrote:
> I've been contemplating use of speculative evaluation as a way to hide
> latency for changes in code. Unfortunately, I've not found any sound
> APIs (ALSA, JACK, etc.)that would effectively support speculative
> buffering

What exactly do you mean by speculative buffering? write-ahead with
optional rollback?

The low latency APIs (and others too) are typically designed so that the
point where audio is passed to the API, and/or the point where control
is returned to the API is the commit point. There are various reasons
for this, including the fact that the data might have to be transferred
across the bus, or the buffer might be mapped to the hardware.

In any case if you need some kind of roll-back it's easy enough to set
up your own write ahead ringbuffer and have shovel data out to the audio
API after some delay.

Of course that's not very interesting for musicians who already demand
lower latency than the hardware and OS can deliver. Depends on your
use-case.

Ross.