Re: [livecode] is live coding aiming to audience with particular programming knowledge

From: David Barbour <dmbarbour_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 17:05:01 -0800

On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 4:49 PM, Kassen <signal.automatique_at_gmail.com>wrote:

> I'd like to -in the name of being deliberately provocative- point out
> that I am not at all interested in being able to solve all solvable
> problems in this case, and far more interested in being able to
> express all emotions I might feel at the time.

That's an excellent observation. I've made similar observations concerning
artistic expression in PL.

I've been contemplating use of fuzzy (probabilistic or weighted) constraint
logics as a basis for emotional and artistic expression [1]. These allow
you to express high-level preferences that have deep, pervasive impacts on
a program's output. If we include some stability and temporal aspects, we
can also address transitions - making systems that transition incrementally
by default, rather than change abruptly by default. (We could design
systems that override the default, but it's nice to have good defaults
pervasive in a system - it's the difference between fragile or robust.)

[1]
http://awelonblue.wordpress.com/2012/09/07/stateless-stable-arts-for-game-development/

> if anyone ran into the problem of being able to express himself...

It's important to not confuse Turing power with expressiveness. E.g.
Brainfuck is Turing complete, but quite inexpressive.

It is often the case that non Turing-complete systems can be more
expressive, especially when you want to express high-level properties of a
program.

Regards,

Dave

--